Saturday, July 16, 2011

There Are Dumb Questions

been around the world and found
that only stupid people are breeding
the cretins cloning and feeding

I do not have tolerance for stupidity.  I don't.  I know I should strive to be a better person and accept that there are people in this world who just aren't as smart (SMRT as Homer Simpson would spell) as I am. 

Last night, I stopped at the store on my way home from dinner.  There is a lottery ticket machine just inside the door of the store.  There is a sign on the lottery machine that clearly states that the lottery machine does not give change. 

I waited patiently for my turn and watched this woman feed a $20 bill into the machine.  She selected a couple of tickets and then stood there, staring at the machine.  She tapped on the screen.  Felt the machine up for mysterious invisible buttons.   With my patience running thin, I asked her if I could help her.  She turned and flashed a gold tooth and said, "It don't give me no money back."

(Sigh)  Overlooking the poor language skills, I explained to her that the machine doesn't give change.  I even pointed to the sign on the machine.  She looked at me.  She looked at the sign.  "I don't want no $20 worth of lottery tickets!" she said.  I looked on the machine and she had $10 balance remaining.   

"Look, I'll just give you the $10 and use your credit to buy my tickets," I said.  "Is that legal?" she asked. (Or possible aksed..)  I assured her it was and gave her two fives.  I hadn't intended on buying $10 worth of tickets either, but I also didn't feel like waiting while she tried to figure out a solution.  

I don't have children.  I haven't really had the urge to procreate.  However, every time I run across someone who lacks common sense or the ability to comprehend simple instructions (like how to reboot a computer or use the "save as" function), I wish I had.  At least my brainy little offspring could help give the world a fighting chance.

And, if not, they could at least carry on my habit of publicly mocking the less than intelligent long after I'm gone from this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment