Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Lie Becomes the Truth

People always told me be careful what you do
Don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
(hee-e!)
And mother always told me be careful who you love
And be careful what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth
(hey-hey!)

A shout out to Michael Jackson on this sunny Sunday morning.

Last night, I had this dream that a few weeks before my reunion, on a whim to see if anyone would notice, I updated my Facebook status to "In a relationship." Harmless.


I didn't think anyone would notice but a friend did. So, I told that friend that I had been seeing someone for awhile but hadn't wanted to go public with it. The person commented that none of my posts seemed to indicate I was in a relationship. I pointed out that none of my posts indicated otherwise either.

The closer I got to the reunion, the more nervous I got about my lie. I had old friends eager to meet said "boyfriend". I would change the subject every time it came up. So, then, I decided to change my status back to single and tell everyone that the status change to "relationship" had been a ruse -- just something to generate a buzz. No one would believe me. They thought I was now lying to protect the person I was in a relationship with -- to preserve privacy, etc.

I lamented my situation to a male friend and before I could finish my rant, he offered to be my pretend boyfriend. [I need to note here that the male friend in my dream was no one I know. Some vague representation of a male friend, because I'm pretty sure all of my current male friends are married, gay or in relationships.]

Like something straight out of a romance novel or chick flick, he said, "I'll do it. We hang out all the time. People will believe it." I argued with him that maybe that made it all too odd-- that we were more like brother and sister than boyfriend and girlfriend and no one would believe it. He assured me that it would work. "I'll be the best damned fake boyfriend you've ever had!" he insisted.

He started posting little "private joke" type comments on my Facebook page. He uploaded all sorts of photos from various outings we had attended and tagged me in them. My friends were ooohing and aaahing over the cuteness (and probably, silently barfing.) I kept asking him to tone it down a little. He didn't. He posted songs... allegedly "our songs", and not your normal relationship songs. These would be songs like Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen or Sweet Child of Mine by GNR.

Then, in real life, he started to act differently. More affectionate. More touchy-feely. He started calling me pet names. He made me lunch, which he'd bring to me at work. He'd "stop by" just to say hi and see how my day was going. I told him it was a bit of overkill because none of my reunion people were at work. Of course, this just caused a fervor at work.

Then, it came time for the reunion and we drove together to the reunion. He was acting rather odd during the drive. Out of nowhere, he'd just start laughing and I asked him what was going on. He'd say, "Wait and see..."

We were at dinner with my reunion friends and all of a sudden, he blurts, "We're getting married!"

I spit out my drink and everyone at the table cheered. Then, I burst into tears and told him he was a mean person and ran out of the room.

I woke up at that point. With a headache. (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment