Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Phone Call for N------ G----------

Stop callin', stop callin',
I don't wanna think anymore!
I left my hand and my heart on the dance floor.
Stop callin', stop callin',
I don't wanna talk anymore!
I left my hand and my heart on the dance floor.

Every night for the past few weeks, a call comes in around 5:15 p.m. on my home phone line.  The caller ID says "N------- G--------."  I do not know a N------ G------ but the number is local so I answer.  As soon as I say "hello", the line goes dead.

Tonight, I decided I wanted to put a stop to this once and for all. So, I called "N----" back.

A friendly-sounding young man answered the phone.  I said, "Hi.  Someone from this number keeps calling me and hanging up on me and to be honest, I'm a little annoyed."  Then, I laughed to show I wasn't some mean biotch.

The young man laughed himself and then proceeded to tell me that his phone is allegedly all messed up and that N------ is actually a friend of his in Orlando who calls him and then when they hang up, somehow the call gets re-routed to my number.  "So, I'm the only one you're calling?" I asked.  He laughed and said, "Yes.  I'm really sorry.  I don't know why it's happening.  It's not me hanging up on you.  It's my phone."  I laughed, too.  Then, he said, "I know this sounds like some weird thing.  I swear I have no clue why it's happening. I'm not stalking you or anything."   He sounded really friendly and kind of nice.  "Well, ok, I just wanted to make sure that you knew that whomever it was you were trying to reach wasn't at this number," I said.  He laughed again and said, "I'm sure it's pretty annoying.  I hope it gets fixed soon."  I told him it wasn't a big deal -- I just didn't want poor N------ to think whomever he was trying to reach wasn't answering his calls.  He said he'd like to promise me that it wouldn't happen again but said that it probably would.  I told him jokingly that I might just have to keep calling him and telling him to stop.  We both laughed and then awkward silence descended.

Then, he apologized again and I told him to have a good night.

Now, the hopeful romantic in me is now weaving all sorts of wonderful fantasies that this is Fate's way of leading to some single, straight man who just happens to like chubby chicks with sarcastic senses of humor and we'll talk again, fall madly in love and live happily ever after.

I'm a big fan of the "meet cute".  I learned this phrase from the movie THE HOLIDAY. A meet cute is a convention of romantic comedies in which two potential romantic partners meet in a contrived way in unusual or comic circumstances. Frequently the "meet cute" leads to a humorous clash of personalities or beliefs, embarrassing situations, or comical misunderstandings that further drive the plot.

In my fantasy romantic life, I'm always conjuring up "meet cutes".  We meet in a bookstore and reach for the same book.  We bend down to pick something up and bump heads.  We both order the exact same odd food combination at a restaurant and get each other's order.  We both try to pull into the same parking space and have a fender tap. We both win a week's vacation to some romantic destination and have to share the same hotel room.  We're both hired for the same job and have to compete for it.  We're randomly selected to participate in some sort of contest or challenge.  We get each other's mail and he opens something that he shouldn't and it's very personal and slightly embarrassing and has to return it to me.  (like a book of erotica or something like that.)  

I have a vivid imagination and a lot of free time...

Obviously, my life is not a romantic comedy.  But, a girl can dream.

I saved his number in my phone directory just in case. 

postscript - He called again tonight (7/21/11) and I decided to do a reverse lookup.  Found his real name and looked him up on Facebook.  He's 23 and uses a lot of profanity on his Wall.  Too bad.  It was a nice little fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment