Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dreaming My Life Away

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away

I seem to have some of the most detailed and bizarre dreams when I'm sick or stressed out.

Last night, I had this dream that I was on a road trip with my parents and brother.  I was about ten, but had all of the wisdom, fears and knowledge of my 40something self.  (Meaning that I didn't feel like a 10 year old in my dream.  I felt like an adult.)

We were in this old blue station wagon, driving winding roads and rocky cliffs.  I felt like we were going too fast for the conditions.  It had just rained and everything was muddy and misty.

I kept asking my dad to please slow down.  He ignored me.  I asked my mom to make my dad slow down.  She ignored me.  I asked my brother.  He said, "Shut up, b*tch.  We're almost there!"

We finally got to our destination.  It was this huge campground of sorts with a even bigger body of water.  I'm assuming it was a lake, but it looked like it might have been a man-made lake because the water was crystal clear instead of murky like a real lake.

We drove over ruts and potholes, bouncing around, trying to find a parking space.  It was very crowded.  There were booths and vendors along the way, like it was a carnival or festival.

We finally found a parking space and got out of the car.  My brother made a beeline for the lake.  I was hesitant.  I got closer to the water and I could see snakes in the water.  I do not like snakes.

Everyone seemed oblivious to the snakes and kept splashing and jumping in the water.  I kept trying to point out the snakes but no one seemed to notice.

My dad told me to get in the water since the trip had all been for me anyway.  He seemed peeved.  I looked around for my mom but she wasn't there.

I hesitantly got into the water but all I could think about were the snakes.  

A snake slithered up to me and lifted its head from the water and said, "It's about time."  Then, it showed its fangs....  and I woke up.

I felt mentally drained when I woke up.

Why can't I have dreams of who my soul mate is or some fabulous celebrity bringing me breakfast in bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment