Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Searching for Superman

I can't stand to fly
I'm not that naive
Men weren't meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet

Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It's not easy to be me. 


Superman 

This guy at work has started this trend of wearing ties on Thursday.  He calls it "Tie Thursday."  

I appreciate a man in a tie.

For me, it's because I have this Lois Lane-Clark Kent-Superman fantasy.

Now, I'm not at all attracted to the guy at work, but I am attracted to the idea of men wearing ties.

One of my favorite movies growing up was Superman.  

But, not because of "Superman".  I loved it because of Clark Kent.

I loved that this mild-mannered, bespectacled, suit and tie wearing newspaper man had a secret.

A secret that allowed him to save damsels in distress, save children in burning buildings... allowed him to fly, dodge bullets and see through things.  All by whipping off his tie and glasses.

So, when I see a man in a tie (or glasses -- or both), I often wonder what secrets lie beneath that calm, composed demeanor. 

Is he a superman?  Will he save the day?

Does he need a Lois Lane?  


No comments:

Post a Comment