Friday, August 5, 2011

Only The Good Die Young

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Bucket Lists.  It seems that a lot of my friends my age have them.  

A few years ago, I created one.  To be honest, I hadn't really given it much thought until one of the items on my list is going to be a reality next month.

I fell in love with Jason Mraz's music while visiting a friend here in Virginia in 2004.  A friend played the CD while we drove around and as soon as I heard "You and I Both", I was hooked.  There is just something about his voice.  Then, I saw the video and was shocked by the baby-faced somewhat geeky guy who sang the song.  I was also turned on by the fact that he used correct grammar.  Not "You and Me..."  No sirree.

I have this rule that I won't buy an artist's CD until I hear and like at least three songs on the CD.  I waived my rule for Jason Mraz.  I had my friend burn me a copy of hers to listen to until I could get to the store and buy my own copy.  Since then, I've added several of his CDs to my collection.  He does an awesome cover of Rainbow Connection, wearing a pink Rick Springfield t-shirt.  And most recently, he released "I'm Yours" and "Lucky", two songs that always put me in a good mood.   Seeing him in concert was on my "bucket list".  My friend who turned me onto his music and I are driving up to the DC area to see him with a friend of mine who lives up there on September 24.

What else is on my bucket list?

To see Jack Johnson in concert.  I love his songs Bubble Toes and Upside Down.

To visit Graceland.

To go parasailing.

To go to Hawaii.

To go to Paris.

To meet Rick Springfield.

To learn how to swim.

To learn how to surf.

To be a published writer.

To buy clothing in "normal" sizes.

To learn how to speak Italian.

To take a "cook's tour" of Italy.

To own my own house.

To make a positive difference in someone's life.

There are a few other items but they are too personal, even for me, to put out there.  Things I've always wanted to do and hope to do before I die.

I think the goals are obtainable.

I figure I have about 40 years to meet them.

As Jack Johnson sings:

I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found
I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs
I don't want this feeling to go away

Who's to say
I can't do everything
Well I can try
And as I roll along I begin to find
Things aren't always just what they seem

No comments:

Post a Comment