Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm Going to Have to Watch That Again

Last night, 13 Going On 30 was on FX.  Of course, I had to stop and watch it.  

Nevermind that I have two months' worth of DROP DEAD DIVA on DVR to catch up on, plus several episodes of EUREKA and a couple of movies.

13 Going On 30 is even in my DVD collection.

Yet, I will stop and watch it every time it's on.  It's just such a cute movie.  I love when the neighbor boy makes a dream house for her and includes all of her favorite things, including a mini-Rick Springfield.  Any guy who encourages a girl's secret celebrity crush without feeling threatened is tops.  Plus, there's the "Thriller" dance scene and the "Love is a Battlefield" scene.... and the "Razzle" scene.  Too cute.  I want a Matt Flanham.

I have a list of movies that I will watch every time I see them on TV.  It doesn't matter the last time I saw them -- or how far in progress the movie is when I discover it.  I'll stop and watch.

Elf - who doesn't love a movie about an Elf who likes to smile?  Smiling is his favorite. 

Shawshank Redemption -  I love when you realize that quiet Andy had been plotting and planning the entire time.  Plus, listening to Morgan Freeman's voice narrate is very soothing.

The Day After Tomorrow -  makes me think about what I'd do if I were in a similar situation.

Sixteen Candles - so quotable.   "Yanky my wanky, the donger needs food."  Plus, I love the part where she comes out of the church and Jake is just leaning against his car waiting on her.  I'm immediately transported back to high school and how I wished some cute guy would notice me.  

Vegas Vacation - I love Vegas.  I love Clark Griswold.  Nuff said. "Rock, paper, scissors!"

Groundhog Day - I grew up in PA where Groundhog Day was a big deal.  I used to mock it, too.  I enjoy a good Bill Murray movie, even if he was a bit of an a$$hole in the movie at the beginning.

The Net - the movie came out right around the time I was getting serious about online dating and cyber friendships.  I love how she totally screws the bad guys over at the end.  Plus, I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a job where I never needed to leave my house.

Office Space -  did you get the memo?  Every time I have any sort of issue with office equipment, I immediately start daydreaming about smashing it to bits while singing "Ain't it great to be a gangster?" in my head over and over.  "This guy's got management written all over him."

Win A Date With Tad Hamilton -  I know, I know -- Josh Duhamel without a shirt.  But, I actually love this movie because of Topher Grace's character.  He's funny, sweet, sarcastic and smart.  I'd work in his grocery store and be his big love anytime.  I'd even come up with different kinds of smiles for him. The soundtrack to the movie is awesome, too.

When Harry Met Sally -  I never thought of Billy Crystal as a romantic hero.  Yet, I find myself rooting for him at the end.  Plus, he's funny.

Pretty Woman - saw this in college.  Have seen it so many times that I can quote it line by line.  Sometimes, when I watch it, I get all mushy about the thought of a streetwalker landing a wealthy business man.  Then, other times, I think "It'll never work. His friends will mock him.  They'll be broken up within 6 months."  I feel the same way about the Bachelor/ette tv shows... and I'm usually right.  Opposites may attract, but they don't stay together very long.

The Last Holiday - I am Georgia.  OK, I'm not a large black woman named Latifah...  but I am a lot like the "Georgia" character.  She is a home-body who likes to cook and who dreams of doing great things.  The little romantic twist is just a cherry on top.

Deja Vu - it's a thriller with a science fictiony twist.  Love it.  

Frequency - it's a thriller with a science fictiony twist.  It makes my mind work.  I enjoy that in a movie.

Goonies - I saw this movie when I was in high school.  My best friend Beth and I went to the movies to see St. Elmo's Fire but it was rated R and the only other movie showing at the same time was Goonies.  We grumpily went to see it... and loved it.  I've often fantasized about going treasure hunting.  I love shows about discovering things and I think it would be super cool to find a treasure map and see where it led me. (As long as it wasn't into the waistband of some sweaty creepy guy's pants...  yes, there's another earlier blog that explains that one.)

Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me.  It appeals to my sense of humor.  Puns.  Plays on words.  Sexual innuendo.  Plus, Mini-Me. Fat Bastard.  Genius writing.  "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".  "Somebody get a stick". 

Napoleon Dynamite - totally didn't like it the first time I saw it because I kept waiting for the "point" and then someone told me that there was no point... then I watched it again and laughed my butt off.  "I've got mad skills with the numchucks."  I use the phrase "mad skills" all the time as a result of this movie.

Blast From the Past - it's just a really cute movie.  Plus, Christopher Walken.  The only thing missing is more cowbell.

Castaway -  it appeals to the LOSTIE in me.  Plus, I cried when he lost "Wilson" at sea.  I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in that situation.  My heart breaks when he realizes the woman he's loved for all of those years married someone else.

SPEED - I love the adrenaline rush and seeing Keanu Reeves save the day instead of acting like a stoner.

I have friends who don't understand why someone would want to watch the same movie over and over.

For me, it's mostly for the memories the movies evoke and for the overall good-feeling they leave me with.  

I can usually find something to relate to in the characters and enjoy knowing that if it can work out on the big screen for a fictional character, maybe it can work out in real life for me -- a real character.

No comments:

Post a Comment