Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shut Up and Drive

You can't go on, thinkin'
Nothing's wrong, but bye,
(who's gonna drive you)
(who's gonna drive you)
Who's gonna drive you home, tonight?
(who's gonna drive you home)

I'm sensitive about my driving ability.

As I've stated before, I don't really enjoy long-distance driving.  To be honest, I don't really enjoy any kind of driving.  Driving is a means to an end for me.  I need to get from Point A to Point B.  I don't like walking (takes too long) or taking public transportation (control issues) so that leaves driving.

When I was 15, my dad tried to teach me how to drive.  After much cursing and frustration, he gave up on me.  I used to practice on a little Renault "Le Car", which was a stick-shift, in our back yard.  To this day, I accelerate with my right foot and brake with my left foot, even if I'm driving an automatic transmission car.

I failed miserably that go round and my dad refused to get inside a car with me to teach me.

When I was 16, my mom decided to try again.  She was a little more patient with me, but there was still a lot of cussing and "No, No, No..." type advice.  For whatever reason, I did not like driving on the right side of the road.  Maybe I have an Englishman living inside of me.  I also did not like parallel parking, reverse driving or staying inside the lines.

But, I persevered because I knew I had to get my license if I wanted freedom.  I didn't want to rely on my parents and friends for the rest of my life for transportation.

I passed my driver's test on the first try, shortly after my 17th birthday.  Yes, I put it off that long. 

Now, I'm not a reckless driver.  I am aware of the rules of the road.  I try my best to be a good driver.

However, for whatever reason, I sometimes am not a good driver.  I misjudge how close I am to the other lanes.  I forget how big my truck is when parking.  I sometimes underestimate how much space there is between me and the person in front of/behind me.   I still cannot parallel park.  I've driven in circles trying to find two spaces together so that I can just pull into one.  I've also said the hell with it and given up if parallel parking is the only option.  I cannot back into a space.  I still have issues with lines.

This is frustrating for me because I like to do things well and driving/parking seem to be two of the easiest things in the world.  I will be very happy when I win the lottery and can hire someone to drive me wherever I want to go.

Virginia Beach is full of drivers who are far, far, far worst than me.  

I guess that gives me some peace of mind at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment