Monday, September 12, 2011

Dare Me

Put up your dukes, let's get down to it!
Hit Me With Your Best Shot!
Why Don't You Hit Me With Your Best Shot!
Hit Me With Your Best Shot!
Fire Away!

I've mentioned before that I have a younger brother.

Growing up, we were always antagonizing each other and daring each other to do things.  We were always getting into trouble, too.  "Who dug that big hole in the back yard?" "Why did you shoot your brother in the head with a BB Gun?" "Seriously, who put the crayons in the furnace register vent?" "Why do you not have any bangs?  Who cut your hair off?"

I'm not really one to take risks.  At least, not risks that I don't stand some sort of chance of being successful.  I'm not foolish.  I'm definitely a list maker.  A pro and con list maker.  I've even made pros and cons lists about men I was dating to decide if I should continue dating them.  I worry about just about everything.  My middle name should be "what if?".  When I don't weigh my options, my middle name turns to "Can't Get Right."

However, there's just something about a dare.  I know I shouldn't do it.  I know I should say no.  But, as soon as someone says, "I dare you...", my eyes twinkle and I get excited.  Do I do it?  Do I say no?  Will they like me more if I do it?  Will I shock them?  Will I be their hero?

When I was in the 1st grade, someone dared me to lick the bottom of my shoe.  It's gross.  I know.  Please don't judge.  But, I did it.  I immediately went to the water fountain and rinsed out my mouth, but I didn't want to be seen as a wuss, as a wimp.

I've been dared to flash people, spy on college classmates, send secret admirer notes, and do assorted silly things. Lick foreheads. Let a guy take a picture of me in a bra.  THAT one is majorly regrettable. I wish I had passed on that dare.  Or kept the photo.

I actually enjoy the dare.  Mostly because of the outcome.  I love that look of shock.  I guess I don't look like someone who would take a dare.  I guess it's my innocent girl-next-door good looks and bashful blush. 

Now, I won't do anything illegal.... or unethical... or cruel.  I also won't do anything that will cause harm to myself or another person.  So, I'm careful in which dares I actually jump at, but, man, I love a challenge. I also won't do anything that I risk getting my heart broken or my feelings hurt.  7 minutes in heaven or spin the bottle?  Not for me.

I also like daring people too.  I love when people get involved and respond.  It totally tickles my fancy when someone takes my dare. It shows a playful spirit and makes me wonder just what else they'd be willing to do.  (What would they do for a Klondike bar?)

I think I need to have a slumber party so we can all play a good game of truth or dare.  I haven't played that since I was 10.  I imagine it could be way more interesting as an adult.  

Especially if alcohol and members of the opposite sex are involved. :)

Just don't ask to see me in a bra.  That ship has sailed my friends.  And the photo is somewhere in Albany.

No comments:

Post a Comment