Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A for Attitude

Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I got to keep on movin'

You're on a roll and now you pray it lasts
The road behind was rocky
But now you're feeling cocky

The sun is setting earlier and rising later.

As much as I love Fall (being a Fall baby and all), I do not like losing daylight.  As long as the sun shines and the sky is light, I feel like I have plenty of time to accomplish things.

However, I've noticed the past couple of weeks that I've been hitting the snooze more in the morning and rolling out of bed later and later.  The bedroom is cool and dark and I want to stay there.  Then, at night, I sit here in my spare bedroom, clicking away at a work-at-home part-time job and watch the sun set and the skies grow dark.  Before 8:00 p.m.

As soon as it starts to get dark, I start to get sleepy.

Right around this time every year, I start to get a little moody, a little sad.  I think the clinical name for it is seasonal depression.  I've tried various things over the years -- light therapy, aromatherapy, diet changes, exercise, re-arranging furniture, feng shui, vitamins, juices, schedule changes, switching from an electric alarm clock to an old-fashioned wind-up clock, and meditation.  And even good old American pharmaceuticals.

I've been trying to focus on happier things and channeling positive thoughts and energy.  

Every morning, before I go into work, I sit in my car for a few minutes and just try to clear my brain and heart of any negative feelings and thoughts.  Then, I give myself a little pep talk and then listen to some sort of upbeat song on my car stereo.  

Throughout the day, I try to find things to be thankful for, grateful for and happy about.  I try to shake off anything that wants to bring me down or attach itself to me and make me feel worse.

Sometimes... most of the time..  it works.  I can usually make it through the day and make it home in one piece.

I've noticed that I don't seem to be the only one who suffers this, though.  I've noticed that people who normally post frequent and upbeat comments on Facebook are getting scarce.  Friends aren't as interested in going out and doing things as they were when it was lighter later. Co-workers have been grumpy and distant.  Everyone seems tired and worn out.

I have about a month until vacation and the glimmer of hope of having something to do in the middle of October is keeping me moving forward.

I hope I win big so that I can come back and quit the part-time job and maybe try to do something different with my nights and weekends.

Or find a way to make it ok for me to hibernate like a bear.  I think I'd love to crawl into a cave until spring and just sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment