Monday, February 6, 2012

Department Store Romance

Late night, come home
Work sucks, I know
She left me roses by the stairs
Surprises let me know she cares

When I first moved to Columbus, I got a job working at a housewares store at the local mall.

I met a lot of interesting individuals while working there.

The holidays could be a bit trying, especially Christmas.

However, Valentine's Day is a different matter.  Not many people rush to a housewares store for a Valentine's Day gift.  At least, not many people who don't want to sleep on the couch.  (Me, I wouldn't mind.  I love a good set of cookware or some OXO utensils.)

One year, this young man came into the store and said that he was planning a scavenger hunt for his girlfriend and that he was leaving clues and surprises throughout the mall.   He wanted to talk to a manager about having a clue left in our store along with a surprise that she would need to take with her to the next store.

I was so enthralled by the whole idea.  I love romance.  No surprise there, right.  I loved the whole scavenger hunt idea.  I love those kinds of things -- clues, riddles, all leading up to something grand.

I listened while he explained to my manager that he was creating little riddles/clues that would lead his girlfriend to various stores in the mall and the end game, the final store was going to be a jewelry store where he was going to propose.  She loved cooking and one of the first meals she made for him was some pasta dish.  So, he wanted to buy a set of pasta bowls and when she presented her clue to us, we'd hand her the gift.  It sounded so great, so elaborate.  I wanted to come back on Valentine's Day just to see what the outcome was.

On my break, I usually walked around the mall, browsing in other stores.  I got to know some of the other workers in the mall.  So, I stopped in one store and casually asked if anyone had been in there to talk to them about a scavenger hunt.  One of the girls said no, but that she heard that one of her friends who worked at Victoria's Secret had gotten a visit.  

Over the course of a few days, I would ask other people at the mall and was able to piece together that in addition to the housewares store and Vickie's, he also stopped at Yankee Candle, Mrs. Fields' cookies, Things Remembered, and the Hallmark store.  

In my mind, I filled in the blanks, creating a great romance.   

I envisioned a comfy cotton nightgown from Victoria's Secret, because the lace crap itches and maybe she was a real girl like me who likes cotton over lace.

I envisioned a mass of short pillar candles, unscented, which had been used to set the scene for their first romantic encounter.

I envisioned the engraved necklace or bracelet charm that had personal meaning from Things Remembered.  Maybe even a photo album with photos of them doing various activities together.  Coupled with some smart-assy yet romantic Shoebox greeting card from the Hallmark store.

I envisioned tall glasses of chocolate milk and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies from Mrs. Fields. (Can you tell I've placed myself in this guy's fantasy?)

I could imagine the gleam in her eyes as she went from store to store, collecting her booty and assembling a visual story of their romantic life.

Then, she'd arrive at Kay's, or Gordon's or whatever the jewelry store was that used to be in that mall, and he'd be waiting with an old-fashioned filigree style opal ring (again, my fantasy) because she's too original for a plain old diamond.

Ahhhh......  

If it all worked out, they'd be coming up on their 14th anniversary this year.

In my fantasy, it worked out.  

There was no divorce attorney in our mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment