Thursday, October 27, 2011

Party Like It's Your Birthday


Go shawty, it's your birthday
We gonna party like it's your birthday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday

Yeah, I'm quoting 50 Cents.  Or would that be Fiddy Cents?

Tomorrow (or by the time some of you read this, "today") is my birthday.

My two favorite holidays are my birthday and Halloween.  Conveniently, the two are just days apart. 

Birthdays are magical.  Or, have the potential to be magical.  I know most people like Christmas for magic, but not me.  I've already blogged about how I'm not really a fan of Christmas.

However, I believe it all started with the thought of blowing out candles and making a wish.  All of my life, I've been full of wishes.  Wished that I didn't live in a trailer.  Wished that my parents had more money.  Wished I had more friends.  Wished I wasn't the fat kid at school.  Wished I wasn't so shy.  Wished I could have the things that other kids had.  

Then, later, my wishes developed as I did.  Wished for a good college.  A scholarship.  A decent roommate.  To get good grades.  That the guy who sat behind me in psych 101 (read the blog "Pour Some Sugar..." for more on that one) loved me the way I loved him.

Then, it was wishes for a nice apartment, a decent car, more good friends, more love.

I don't remember what I wished for last year, but I'd bet money that it probably had to do with money, love or friendship -- the three things I always want more of.

Wishes are powerful things.  Birthday wishes are super powerful things.   As you can probably tell from reading these blogs, I have a vivid imagination.  I love closing my eyes and blowing out the candles and making my wish.

The realist in me knows that the wishes probably won't come true, but it doesn't stop me from doing it every year.

Every year, on my birthday, I buy a cupcake (eventhough I'm not really a "cake" kind of person) and put a candle in it and make my wish.  I figure that my odds have to get better eventually and that some day, the wish will come true.

I take great care in not "wasting" my birthday wish.  I try to clear my mind before I blow out the candle to make sure nothing silly jumps into my mind at the last minute like "I wish I don't catch my eyebrows on fire" and ruin a perfectly good wish.

I've been having a crappy couple of weeks.  I wrote two bummer blogs (and deleted both of them) because I've been in a bummer mood.  I'm not feeling well, either, which doesn't help.  Being sad and sick at the same time sucks the happy right out of happy birthday. 

A friend sent me flowers to perk me up for my birthday and they are very pretty flowers.  I love them and my friend for surprising me. The only thing that overshadowed the flowers was that a few people at work made assumptions about the sender of the flowers, kind of embarrassing me and making me super self-conscious about a friendship I have at work. Made me worry that I've said or done something to make them jump to those conclusions, and worst, made me worry that the conclusions will get communicated to the co-worker and harm a friendship. It's the last thing I need right now. :(

So, this year I bought a whole box of birthday candles.  I haven't gotten the cupcake yet.  My "favorite" cupcake comes from The Fresh Market.  It has both chocolate and white icing and sometimes, they swirl it like a yin-yang, and I think it looks mystical and magical.  I want the yin to my yang.  So, it seems appropriate that it's the perfect cupcake for making a birthday wish.

On Friday, after work, I'll drive to the Fresh Market and get my cupcake. Then, I plan on blowing out each and every candle in that box, then I'm going to bed, hoping that when I wake up on Saturday morning, at least one of the wishes will come true.

If not, at least I'll still have the cupcake to eat for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. You won't believe this, but your post ties in quite well with what I got you for your birthday. I hope all your wishes come true and that this year will be a good one for you. Love ya! (J)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! It is very sweet that you got flowers from a friend. What a nice surprise! I hope you have a couple more birthday surprises and maybe at least one wish will come true.

    ReplyDelete