Sunday, October 9, 2011

I'm Mr. Brightside

And I just can't look it's killing me
And taking control

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

I had one of the most bizarre dreams I've had in awhile this afternoon.

I had a beer while watching the Steelers game on TV and then started to get a headache so I decided to lie down for a little bit until the headache passed.  Had no intention of napping.  Especially not on a Sunday. But I fell asleep and slept deeply for over 2 hours.

In my dream, I am sitting at one of those cafeteria-style tables with built in benches in what looks like a school gymnasium or cafeteria.  There are four of us, spaced out at the table.  Two on one side.  Two on the other.

I'm wearing a full skirt and baby pink button down cardigan.  Very private school circa the 50s/60s.

I'm sitting across from a man whose face is blurred but he is built like young Elvis in the Viva Las Vegas video I posted on Facebook earlier.  Lean hips, tallish, slender build, wide shoulders, dark hair.

We're all taking a fill-in-the blank style test and there is a proctor walking around in the room.

The test, however, is all about VH1's Top 100 Songs of 00s.  100 questions.  Each one contains a missing word or two in the title or artist of a song.  Pretty easy. 

The guy across from me would make these "Score!" motions with his hands/arms as he completed questions.  I thought this was funny.  He'd whisper "Score!" and then make a cheering crowd sound.  The proctor would shush him.  We'd make (blurry) eye contact and I'd smile.

So, then as I was answering my questions, I'd hum parts of the songs as I was answering my questions.  The proctor kept shushing me.  The guy would chuckle then cough to cover up the chuckle.

I got to the last question and the question was:  100.  Mr. ___________ by The Killers.

I wrote in Brightside and then as loud as I could, I started singing the verse I pasted above:
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay

Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

The proctor rushed over to me.  I handed her my test and left the room.

I went to the restroom down the hall and then thought about just leaving, but then I looked down and realized I was in socks and that my shoes were back in the gymnasium.

As I got to the door of the gym, it opened and Mr. Tall, Dark and Assumedly Handsome was coming out and carrying my shoes.  He gave them to me and said, "Wanna get out of here for a little bit?"

We walked outside to a parking lot and got into this hybrid type sedan.

We started driving down Virginia Beach Blvd, toward Town Center.  Neither one of us were saying anything to each other.  I was watching the scenery pass by.  Then, something compelled me to reach for his right hand with my left hand.  They fit perfectly and he had the softest skin.  He squeezed my hand and kept staring straight ahead.  I smiled and looked out the passenger side window.

Then, all of sudden, he jerked his hand away and I felt totally rejected, but then I realized it was to shift gears. (Note to self:  do not date men with manual transmissions.)  I looked to the left and noticed we were now in the town where I grew up and I said to him, "Over there is where I grew up!"  We were on the street that runs parallel to my street, with a creek in between. "Really?" he said and he made a left turn over a bridge and as we were turning left onto my street, a deer darted in front of the car.  He stopped short and then we drove down the street.  I pointed out the trailer I grew up in, my grandparents' house, my grandfather's garage, my grandmother's store and then the shack that my brother lives in on occasion, when he's between women.

When we were at the end, he said, "That was a short street!"  I giggled thinking he was being funny.  He looked at me oddly.  "That's the name of the street.  Short Street," I explained.  Then, we both laughed and he kept on driving.  A few seconds later, we were back at the parking lot of the school.

I opened up the car door and accidentally hit him in the chest with it because I didn't realize he was being gentlemanly and coming around to open my door.  The car was no longer a car, though.  It was a teal-blue Ford Ranger truck. (Do they still make those?)

We went back into the cafeteria and took our original seats.

A few seconds later, a woman walks into the room from a door on the opposite side.  It was my boss from my day job.  She said, "Thanks for waiting!  I'm not going to have the test results today.  I got tied up making costumes for the Halloween pagent.  You can go ahead and go home."  Then, she left.

We walked back out to the parking lot.  I walked to my car.  It really was the car I drive now.  I blurted, "I'm going home and making pancakes!"  He said, "I love pancakes!"  Then, we sort of stood there and then he said "good night" and walked away.  His car was back to his hybrid type car.

As I drove away in my car, I said to myself, "I should have asked him over for pancakes."

Then, I woke up.

With a headache.  And craving pancakes.  And hearing "Mr. Brightside" in my head.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......   Like I posted on Facebook the other day -- if dreams are wishes the heart makes, then my heart is truly messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment