Tuesday, October 4, 2011

If You Could Read My Mind

If I could read your mind love,
what a tale your thoughts could tell.
Just like a paperback novel,
the kind the drugstore sells.
When you reach the part where the heartaches
come the hero would be me.
Heroes often fail.
And you won't read that book again
because the endings just to hard to take.

Took a break from the part time job to talk to the friend going through the break up and she uttered words that every woman at some point in every relationship utters (no, not "put the toilet seat down!" -- or in my case, "Are you gay?").  She said, "I wish I was a mind reader!"   She then said that it would make things so much easier with dealing with the opposite sex if she could just read his mind and know what he was thinking.

So, of course, this made me do some thinking.  Yeah, yeah, I know I have a part time job's goals to satisfy.  I'm doing good.  I'm on target.  I only need to get in 48 more emails before midnight on Thursday.  I think I can do it.

Every now and then, I'll meet someone (both males and females) that I connect with and often joke that we have the same mind-set and could probably read each others' minds.  It's more of an intuitive thing than an actual psychic thing, but I have had moments of sentence finishing and "I just knew you were going to say that."  Sort of like when the phone rings and you know who it is before you look at caller ID or answer it.  Or, when you think of a song you haven't heard in awhile and it comes on the radio, at the precise moment you think about it.  Weird stuff.  I get these little feelings in my gut every now and then.  Prickly feelings on the back of my neck.  And there will be the person I was thinking about... or someone will come up to me and say something I was just thinking.  I LOVE moments like that.

I think it would be awesome to have selective mind reading.  And to have the ability to selectively block my thoughts as well.  (Without wearing a tin foil hat.)  There have been so many times in my life when I've been dealing with people and have hit a wall and wondered what they were thinking.  Both men and women.  It's very frustrating.  I couldn't get a read on them or feel out their vibes and they were not being very forthcoming with the words and feelings.  At moments like that, it would be great to tune in (without them blocking, of course) and figure out what the heck they were thinking.  Were they upset about something?  Were they worried about something?  Were they thinking about doing laundry or their taxes?  Were they making a mental to-do list?  Something, anything to help understand them better. Some people are very hard to understand.

On the flip side, there have been times when I didn't think people were getting what I was saying or trying to say.  I know I've sworn off of the "R" word ("romance") for now, but there have been times in the past when I think it would have been so incredibly useful to be able to allow others to read my mind.  Remember how I blogged about how I have a hard time telling men how I feel about them when I have romantic or "L" word ("love") feelings for them?  I know I must have thought it a gazillion times.  "I like you."  "I want you." "Call me." "Talk to me."  "Do you like me too?"  Remember how I blogged about wanting that safe Facebook app that allowed members of the opposite sex to let each other know without fear of rejection how they feel?  Mind reading would be great for that.

I could just mentally send the thought and then wait for a response.  Or, if I was too scared to hear the response, I could send the thought, then block my ability to receive thoughts and just have peace in knowing that I went out on a limb and sent my thought.  And then sit back and wait for awhile for a response.  And, if after awhile, when I felt braver, I could tap into his thoughts and hear the "I like you as a friend" or "I'm seeing someone" or "Damn, I forgot to buy lemons."

Of course, this could be kind of awkward or distracting to the other person, I'm sure.  Could you imagine standing in line at the grocery store and all of a sudden someone's voice filled your head "I think I love you" or "I want to break up" or "I worry about you" or "I'm gay"?

Still, at the end of the day, it could prove to be useful.  Helpful.  I'd take a stab at it for a bit.  It would help with figuring out what people want for their birthday, why they are acting all weird, if they need your help, if they are thinking naughty thoughts...  :)

I'm sending you a thought right now.  Did you get it?  No?

Damn.  Well, I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment