Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day Ten

I have a confession to make. I'm addicted to soft drinks. Not coffee, not tea, not over-priced frothy foamy lattes and frappes. I'm talking about sugar-laden carbonated soda pop. I've tried many times over the years to give it up, much like a smoker trying to give up nicotine. I've tried diet sodas, like a smoker slaps on the patch. I've quit cold turkey. But, then, I tell myself "Just one small sip won't hurt" and the next thing you know, I'm standing in the beverage aisle lusting after 24 packs.

Last night, I had my last bottle of soda pop. Orange Fanta.

Today, I drank water all day.

Right now, I have a headache the size of the entire continent of Africa. I'm pretty sure it's a sugar-withdrawal headache.

I estimate that by giving up soda, I will save about $20 a month. I will also do good things for my body by drinking more water.

So, if I seem a little grumpy, please bear with me.

If I seem a little thirsty, offer me some water.

If you see me standing near the vending machine at work, lovingly caressing the images of my favorite fizzy drink, please remind me that it's for the best.

If I win the lottery, I may be tempted to hire someone to create a soda that is low in calories but doesn't taste like chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment