Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day Nine

I no longer have to supervise people. I never thought I'd ever regret a decision I made in my life but two years ago, I accepted a position of supervisor thinking it would be fantastic opportunity -- a chance to finally get credit and recognition for all of the things I did anyway without the title. I envisioned being the best boss ever -- someone people trusted, respected, learned from and thought was the coolest person in the world.

That didn't happen. Oh, it was ok in the beginning, but as the demands of the job increased and the work ethic of people I hired declined, my management techniques became borderline "micro management", following up on everyone every day. Mainly because I didn't want to get in trouble. Mainly because people had let me down and I was held responsible for them. I was tired of doing their work and getting heat for unmet goals.

Long miserable story somewhat shorter - I've been trying to find something else to do internally. My boss wouldn't sign off on a job posting to another department which left me hurt and confused.

But, she approached me Monday with a position within my current department that relieves me of my supervisor duties.

It will be a lot of work -- I'll be training, doing procedures, managing reports and other special projects. Possibly traveling.

I'm giving it a chance and hope that the no supervising thing will reduce some of my stress.

I'm also still buying planning on winning big Saturday in Atlantic City.

No comments:

Post a Comment