Sunday, November 6, 2011

Roll To Me

Look into your heart pretty baby
Is it achin' with some nameless need?
Is there somethin' wrong
And you can't put your finger on it?
Right then, roll to me

And I don't think
I have ever seen a soul so in despair
So if you want to talk the night through
(Ooh)
Guess who will be there?
(Aaa)

Back in 1995ish, I used to absolutely love this song.  I had a mixed tape (yes, as in "cassette tape") of songs that I used to take with me when I traveled for a job that I had at the time.  This song was one of the songs on it. I used to daydream about meeting someone who sensed I was in turmoil and who would offer to be my rock -- to be the person I can turn to.  Funny - all these years later, I still want that.

I digress.  I spent 3 of 4 weeks every month on the road, visiting various day cares, after school programs and in-home child care providers to offer education, support and training.  I lived in my car.

I think spending so much time in my car for over two years is one of the main reasons I don't enjoy driving or spending time in my car now.  Oh, I don't mind being the passenger.  But, I get frustrated with driving.  Small distance, long distances.  It doesn't matter.  If I didn't despise public transportation and fear its unpredictability, I'd probably consider parking the car and forgetting about it.

Every now and then, though, I suck it up in the name of fun.   A few weeks ago, I made the trip to Northern Virginia to see Jason Mraz in concert.  This past weekend, I made the trip again, for a cooking show in DC.

On Friday night, I went to Target after work and purchased a Garmin.  I've been scoffing the technology for years, relying on mapquest directions to get me where I need to go.  However, I didn't feel like trying to drive and read directions so I caved in and bought the GPS.  It was suprisingly easy to install and use.  I had considered returning it after the weekend was over, but now I'm thinking of keeping it.  I have a tendency to get lost trying to find places and this could come in handy.  Heck, it may even encourage me to explore parts of Virginia Beach and Hampton Roads I haven't explored yet.

I left around 8:30 on Saturday morning and the drive was clear and uneventful.  The foliage along I-295 and I-95, near the DC area is absolutely beautiful.  I tried to take photos but driving and photography do not mix well.   I had the new Colbie Caillat CD along with two Jason Mraz CDs.  Decided I was going to have perky, upbeat music in the car with me.  Sort of that "fake it until you make it" thing.  I haven't been feeling too perky but I didn't want to show up at my friend's house in a cranky mood. 

We left a little before 1:00 for the cooking expo.  I had never been to DC before so it was fun playing tourist, oohing and aahing over the buildings and architecture.  I love old buildings.  I could spend hours taking photos of old buildings, ornate architecture, etc.  When I lived in Ohio, there was a lot of old architecture.  New homes and buildings try to impress us with glass and steel.  I love the look of old concrete, stucco and wood beams.  I've often fantasized about living in some old Victorian with lots of rooms, nooks and crannies.

The cooking expo was massive.  Over 300 vendors.  I love those kinds of things.  I love trying to get free samples and trying new things.  We spent close to two hours exploring the vendor booths.  I even tried to pick up a man at a meat vendor booth.  He said he liked my personality.  But, alas, I did not score any digits.

Then, it was time for the Guy Fieri demonstration.  He is very personable.  I remember watching him on the Next Food Network Star and he was my number 1 pick to win.  I love him on Diners, Drive ins and Dives.  He seems like he would be a fun person to hang out with.  Has a sarcastic sense of humor and down to earth approach.  

After the demo, we headed north on 7th Street to Chinatown where we met up with an old college friend of mine.  We had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Carmine's, which is part of the NYC Carmine's family of restaurants.  The food was good and the conversation was lively.  There was much joking about my love life and trials and tribulations.  My friend invited me to join him at a gay bar after dinner, but I passed, citing my fear of meeting someone there and falling in love.  My friend, who is an editor for a major newspaper, offered up some suggestions for launching my writing career and we discussed my blog for a bit.

After dinner, we all headed back towards the convention center.  My college friend headed off to his bar.  Heather and I headed back to her place.   We sat around for awhile and then I headed to bed, leaving her to spend some time with her husband and dog.

I was up early today, thanks to the time change.  As soon as the sun came up, I was wide awake.  I was on the road by 8 and home by 11:15.

I'm always glad to come home.  The older I get, the more "home-body" I am.  I missed my Abby.  I missed my bed.  I missed my pillows.  I changed clothing and crawled into bed and just snuggled with Abby for a couple of hours, while trying to motivate myself to do the list of chores I had yet to touch.

As I lie in bed, Dorothy's voice from the Wizard of Oz kept circulating in my head.  "There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.  There's no place like home."

I think she may have been on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment