Tuesday, November 15, 2011

All I Want For Christmas...

I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is... 

I think it's still much too early to be thinking about Christmas.  However, I looked at the calendar and next week is Thanksgiving.  Once that day arrives, Christmas is pretty much unavoidable.  Target has had Christmas decorations out since late September.  Guess they wanted to beat Wal-Mart and K-Mart.  

I joked about writing a letter to Santa this year and the more I think about it, the more I think why not?  Why should this be reserved for small children?  I'd sit on the man's lap if I thought it would help me be ho ho ho-ier and maybe get me something good.

I posted on Facebook that one of my favorite holiday movies is A BOYFRIEND FOR CHRISTMAS.  It's one of those heart-warming Hallmark movies.  I own it on DVD.  I remember when I bought it, I was so tickled to see the email from AMAZON that said "A BOYFRIEND FOR CHRISTMAS has shipped!"  I kept checking my doorstep for tall, dark and handsome with a big ole bow on him.  I settled for the DVD.

In 1998, I wrote a letter to Santa.  I asked him for three things:  to reconnect with an old friend, to find out if the "one who got away" really was "the one" (or was he just someone who "got away") and to fall in love.

By some fluke of holiday magic, I got all three things.  Not on Christmas.  That would be too weird.  But, pretty close.  First, it was the old friend.  Someone I hadn't talked to in years but whom had been one of my best friends in high school sent me a Christmas card.  She had gotten my address from my parents.  Tickled me pink to hear from her.  We wrote each other (she didn't have email) a few times but then lost touch again.  The next thing that happened was the "one who got away".  He was bored one night shortly before Christmas and called me because something he had heard or seen reminded him of me.  That made me smile.  But, alas, talking to him didn't warm my toes and tingle my heart...  or... warm my heart and tingle my toes.  We chatted and at the end of the call, I realized he wasn't "the one" and could put that fantasy to bed.  

Finally, the last one -- the elusive "love".   Found it with a male friend.  Didn't see it coming.  He would always come around to see me at work and offer to help me with things.  My friends saw "romance" before I did.  He definitely wasn't the kind of guy I normally fell for.  I kept protesting.  Everyone else kept encouraging.  I eventually listened to "everyone" else.  Long story short, I believe everything happens for a reason and everyone we meet happens for a reason.  I enjoyed the good bits.  Didn't enjoy the not-so-good bits. Obviously, it didn't work out or else I'd be writing about the "happily ever after".

I'm almost afraid to write another letter to Santa.  That whole "be careful what you wish for" thing.

All I want for Christmas is ....   you.

You - the good friend who lives close enough to get together for movie night, drinks after work or to go out to dinner.... and who gets along with my other friends, too, so we can all hang out on occasion.
You - the co-worker I know that I can trust 100% when I need to vent about work without worrying that you will see me negatively or tell the boss.
You - the soul mate who has a great sense of humor, brains in your head, a good heart, who loves me as I am and most importantly, "gets me" as I am.  (If you can cook breakfast, know how to fix cars and like cats, I'll be your love slave forever.)
You - the representative from the lottery commission or other sweepstakes company who gets to be the bearer of good news that I've really and truly won enough money to quit my day job and  pursue my dreams.
You - the person who would buy a book written by me.
You - the good neighbor who isn't too loud, who would pick up my mail and check on Abby and check on me if you don't see me around for a few days.
You - the child I hope to have some day so that I can be a kick butt PTA mom, classroom mom and chaperone on field trips -- before I get so old that all of the other kids think I'm your grandma instead of your mom.

So, Santa, if you are a fan of blogs, I've given you a challenge.  This is my letter to you, the granter of wishes and the keeper of dreams.

I'll leave some cookies out for you.  Just be careful in the chimney.  I think Abby's squirrelfriend might be living in there.

1 comment:

  1. have faith. I think the soul mate is already in your life. U just dont want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete