Sunday, May 20, 2012

Secret Lovers

Secret lovers, yeah that's what we are
Trying so hard to hide the way we feel
'Cause we both belong to someone else
But we can't let it go 'cause what we feel
Is, oh so real, so real, so real

You and me, are we fair?
Is this cruel or do we care?
Can they tell that's in our minds?
Maybe they've had secret love all of the time

I had a weird corporate romance dream last night. 

In my dream, I was working in this huge modern corporate setting.  Very not like where I work right now.

This place had shiny surfaces, modern furniture, high tech stuff, elevators, huge bathrooms and seemed very intimidating and large.  Everyone wore business attire -- no business casual, no jeans Fridays.  I still worked in "Education and Development" (I like that name better than training).  I worked with several women and one male and his name was Brady.  We had cubicles but in the main part of our office, there was this huge round table where everyone sat to work on projects.  "Brady" sat directly across from me.  Well, Brady and I kept making faces at each other across the table and no one really spoke.  There was this one guy, kind of dorky, who kept saying inane things and singing songs and we'd look at him like, "Dude, keep quiet or else you'll get sent to HR."  Being sent to HR seemed to be the worst thing you could have happen.  I received these texts from someone saying things like, "Maybe he can sing at our wedding?" and "Let's not invite him to our wedding."  I'd read the texts and smile to myself and then I'd look up and Brady would raise his eyebrow at me.  I realized that Brady was the one texting me and that we were secretly engaged.  I got the feeling that no one was allowed to have any sort of personal relationship at this company.  No one was allowed to talk or have fun.  It felt very prison-like.  Very serious and stuffy.  The texting continued back and forth and the idiot kept doing idiotic things.   I then had to go to the bathroom and left the area.  I had to sign out when I left the area and had to swipe an ID badge to use the elevator.  Everything was tracked and monitored.  Cameras everywhere.

The bathrooms were on the 5th floor.  I worked on the 1st floor.  Turns out HR is on the 5th floor as well.  It had huge steel-enforced doors and guards with guns at the entrance.  Very scary.  There were a couple of people waiting to go into HR and they looked like they were ready to be killed - very sad and looking down at the floor.  I had this sudden urge to go in and tell them about me and Brady.

As I left the bathroom, someone with a mail cart stopped me and handed me a note and told me to give it to "Jenna".  It had a number 55539 on the front of it.  I had no clue what that meant or who Jenna was.  I stopped by HR and asked if I could ask them who Jenna was and what 55539 meant.  The guards looked at me like I was asking them to commit a crime by letting me in.

I was asking people what it meant and who Jenna was.  No one wanted to talk to me.

I finally got back to my work area and asked Brady if he knew who Jenna was and he answered me very business like that she was someone currently enrolled in training.  I asked what 55539 meant.  He said that he couldn't discuss it.

I sat down with the note.  I received a text from Brady asking me if I had read the note.  I texted back no.  He told me that 55539 was the code for breach of relationship code of conduct and was how HR let supervisors know that someone on their team was engaged in a romantic relationship.

I texted back asking who Jenna was going to be supervising.

Brady wrote back, "Us.  I bet that note is about us. Open it."

I told him it was sealed and if I opened it, I'd risk getting in trouble.  He told me that the consequences of dealing with HR would be worse and that we needed to know so we could strategize.

I was torn between opening the note and just giving it to her.

I texted that I didn't think they'd give me a note to give to her that was about me.  He texted back that we couldn't get sent to HR.

I decided to just go to HR myself.  I told the guards I was Jenna and I was there to see them about a 55539.  They let me in.  I asked who I needed to talk to and they said "Mary".  I walked through HR looking for "Mary".  I found her at the end.  She was a very serious looking woman dressed in black, with black hair pulled back in a bun.

I told her that I was currently involved with someone who worked with me, that we were in love and getting married and that I didn't care if they knew and that I wanted to let them know because I was tired of hiding it.

Mary looked at me without saying anything for the longest time and then she said, "I know.  We've been monitoring you."

I stood there waiting.  I asked what my punishment was.  She told me I had to choose between him or my job.  One of us could stay. If we both wanted to stay, we would have to talk to the President.  She said it like it was the worst thing you could do -- talk to the President.

She told me I had two days to make a decision.

I asked myself in my head - "Would Brady choose me or the job?"

A voice answered, "You know what he'd pick."

Then, I woke up.  (sigh)  

In my heart, I'd like to think I'd pick "Brady" and he'd pick me, but...  obviously if there was so much fear and doubt in my dream, I still have some trust issues about whether or not a man would choose me over a career. 

My dreams have been so muddled lately.  I want dreams of rainbows, butterflies and happy places.  Not inner turmoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment