Saturday, March 17, 2012

Love Somebody

I can see the path you're cutting
It cost me a little piece of my heart
I can see the doors you're shutting
'Cause they were open at the start

Baby, loving you has been hard on me

You're such a tough little sister
Just looking for Mr. Right
On the wrong side of town

You better
love somebody
It's late
You better love somebody
Don't wait
You better love somebody
Don't tempt fate
You're gonna push it just a little too far
One night 

I know it's been a week since I blogged.  I think my muse was on vacation.  I have had things to write about -- a decision I made about my future, an update on my online dating experiment, an update on my weight loss plan...  but... I'd sit down and no great song would come to mind.  No witty words would flow from my fingertips.  So, forewarned, I have three blogs forming in my head.  They'll surface eventually.  I also bought another issue of Cosmo and have started to watch the Dr.Oz show.  Those things will also show up in a blog soon, I'm sure.

I had a weird dream last night. I blame a week of crazy at work and the 4 beers I had at happy hour last night.

In the dream, a local radio station was having an intimate acoustic get-together with Rick Springfield as the featured performer. I was able to obtain passes to the event.  This gave me up, close and personal contact with Rick.  The venue was small and near the oceanfront.  It looked like an old lounge or cabaret style club.  Velvet couches, vinyl booths, small round tables and black cushioned chairs.  Red carpet.  Thick red velvet drapes on the walls, with gold fringe and tassels.  Very old-fashioned.   It smelled of old cigarettes and old carpet.  But, I didn't care, it was Rick Springfield.

For whatever reason, one of my male friends was there.  He was sitting on the arm of one of the velvet couches in the back of the room, far away from the action, as if he didn't want to be associated with what was going on, yet wanted to be there to see what happened. I think he may have come to make sure I kept myself in line, to keep an eye on me.  I mean, it was Rick Springfield.  I've only had a crush on him for 30 years.  He's on my list of 5. (You know, the 5 celebrities you are allowed to have sex with, regardless of your relationship status, if the opportunity ever presents itself.)

I was standing beside my male friend, joking with him about how I was going to kidnap Rick and take him home and have my wicked way with him.  He (the friend) kept narrowing his eyes and shaking his head.  I think he knew I was all talk but I love to do that.  I love to talk outrageously to see what kind of response I could get.  Yet, there was this part of me that really wanted to do it, too, to prove something.  I don't know what, though. And to whom I'd be doing the proving.

Rick stepped out from behind the curtains, carrying a stool and a guitar.  Everyone started screaming and cheering, myself included.  There were less than 50 people in the entire place.  Rick was wearing a pair of faded jeans, sandals and a pink pin striped button down shirt, with the sleeves rolled up and open at the neck. (I love rolled up sleeves that show muscular hairy forearms.)  I turned to my male friend and said, "Look, he's wearing a pink shirt!  You should wear a pink shirt for me!"  I laughed and nudged him with my elbow.  He pulled away and got this angry look on his face.  "You have to stop saying things like that!  I am not going to wear pink for you.  I am not in love with you!" he said angrily and then crossed his arms in front of his chest.  I was totally taken aback.  I gave him a weird look and said, "I never said you were in love with me.  I just said you'd look good in pink." I shook my head, thinking to myself that I was mad that he dared to try to ruin my night.  So, I left him sitting there.  

I moved closer to the front of the crowd and met up with some other people I knew.  We were laughing, clapping and singing along with Rick.  We linked arms and swayed.  We pretended to have lighters and held them up.  Good times.  Rick sang some new stuff and it was good stuff.  Mellow, romantic.  No anger or hurt.  Positive messages.  Similar to Jason Mraz's style.  Every now and then, I'd look back at my friend to see if he was okay, but he'd look away.  I remember thinking, "Why is he still here if he hates me so  much?"  But, then I quickly put the thought away and went back focusing on Rick.

One of my other male friends who recently got employee of the month was there, too.  I told him I didn't know he was a Rick Springfield fan.  He said he wasn't but he got free tickets and decided to come.  We laughed and he told me he had never even heard of him before.   I shook my head and danced with him a little.  

Then, Rick took a break and was mingling with the crowd.  Shaking hands, hugging, kissing.  I was patiently waiting my turn.  When he got to me, he smiled and said, "If I stand right in front of you with my back to the room, it'll look like we're involved in an intensely intimate conversation and if you put your hands on my shoulders, it will look like we're kissing.  I'm just saying."  I laughed and he moved so that his back was to the room.  I put my hands on his shoulders and he leaned in close and asked me if I had read his book yet.  I told him I had gotten two copies for my birthday last year.  He smiled and said that he heard that I was a writer, too, and said he wanted to read my stuff.  I smiled and beamed.  I pulled out a piece of paper from my purse and wrote down my blog URL for him and gave it to him.  He hugged me and then I asked my employee of the month friend to take photos of us.  I told Rick that my friend just got employee of the month.  Rick just laughed and said that he hated corporate America.  I asked him if I could become part of his band and travel with him.  He laughed and said that he had a feeling someone else wouldn't like that.  Then, he winked at me, gave me another hug and kissed my forehead.  I told him he was awesome and then he moved on to other people.  I was on cloud nine.  I was totally giddy.

While Rick continued to mingle, my friend and I moved to the back of the room where drinks were.  We stopped to talk to my other friend and he looked mad.  I asked him what was wrong.  He said, "If he's what you want, then f*ck you!"  He got up and left.  I looked at my other friend and said, "Um, what did I do?" He just shook his head and said he had no clue.

I was confused and couldn't decide if I should go after him or stay behind and finish the concert.   

I chose to stay behind and finish the concert. Give him space.  Plus, I really wanted to hear some of Rick's old stuff.  He had promised to do Souls, Motel Eyes, Love Somebody, Don't Walk Away and his older, slower, romantic stuff. 

As I was leaving, thinking I had been ditched, I asked this guy who was my junior high school crush (this was his first appearance in my dream) if he'd walk me to my car.  He said sure.  I stepped outside and my other male friend was there.

My junior high friend said, "Do you still need me?"  I said no.  He nodded and walked away, wearing a pink polo shirt with the collar up and with a plastic comb in his back pocket, just like he used to do in junior high.  I laughed to myself.

I then woke up.  I know what the dream means.  I'm not even going to pretend I don't.  However, I don't have the energy to deal with it.  So, for now, it's just another weird dream.

Let me just say, Rick does an awesome acoustic version of Love Somebody.  At least, in my dream he did. I felt like he was singing just to me.

I'm only saying what I feel
You think I'm wrong I know
You thought I was sleeping at the wheel
I thought that you were driving

You better love somebody
You better love somebody

2 comments:

  1. What do you think the dream means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to elaborate on its meaning in my next blog. But, basically, I think that with all the frustration I'm having with my online dating, I'm kind of wishing one of my "safe" relationships would move out of the safe zone.

    ReplyDelete