Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Calendar Girl

I love, I love, I love my calender girl
Yeah, sweet calender girl
I love, I love, I love my calender girl
Each and every day of the year

(January) You start the year off fine
(February) You're my little valentine
(March) I'm gonna march you down the aisle
(April) You're the Easter Bunny when you smile

I received 11 calendars for Christmas this year.  Most of them from my mom.

I'm weird about calendars.  For one, I don't usually buy one until the very end of the year.  My logic behind this is that I may not be around for the next year, so why buy a calendar that will go to waste?  Also, I also think they get cheaper the closer to the end of the year.  Bookstores and department stores need to make room for Valentine's Day and Easter items.

My mother does not seem to believe in the same logic.  I think she buys them all year and then forgets she bought them.  Then, at Christmas, I become the proud owner of them.

This year, I received from my mom:
a panoramic scenic calendar that has a blurb on the front "Perfect for hanging under a cabinet".
3 Kittens calendars, three formats (small, medium and large)
a vinyl covered monthly desk planner (full size)
a vinyl covered monthly desk planner (purse size)
a small 5 x 7 "Peanuts" (cartoon characters) monthly calendar
a combination to-do list pad and monthly calendar

Then, I got a page-a-day Dilbert calendar from a co-worker, a monthly wall calendar from the Chinese restaurant where I get take-out frequently and a plastic covered two year planner from my boss.

This is in addition to the page-a-day "Forgotten English" calendar I bought myself.

I guess I'll never need to worry "when" it is.

The funny thing -- I don't really have any place to hang a calendar.  The doors to my bedrooms, bathrooms and closets are this weird material that you can't really push a tack or screw a hook into.  The doors to my laundry room, hall closet and utility closet are metal and slatted/louvered.  My refrigerator magnets aren't strong enough for a calendar.

I took the Peanuts calendar to work.  I put one of the purse planners in my purse.  I'm using one of the vinyl desk planners for PT work related stuff and other assorted things.

I hung up the one from the Chinese restaurant on my laundry room door, but it keeps falling off every time I open and close the door.

The "Forgotten English" calendar is by my computer.  The Dilbert is on the counter in the kitchen.  I've already forgotten to peel off yesterday's entries and reveal today's.

Last year, I managed to hang up a Normal Rockwell wall calendar on my refrigerator using 6 clip-style magnets.  However, each  month, it became a chore to unclip all of the magnets to flip the page.  When I took the calendar down at the end of the year, it was still on June.  

I often wonder if calendars (paper calendars) will become extinct like wrist watches.  I never see anyone wearing watches anymore.  I used to wear one until about 5 years ago when I realized that if I ever really need to know what time it is, there's usually something or someone nearby with it -- my computer, the digital read out in front my bank, my car, the television, the cable box, my cell phone....  Other people.  I've done just fine without a watch.  

I obviously did fine without a wall calendar from June until December.

Let's see how long I make it this year.  The only thing keeping the one from the Chinese restaurant from being tossed out is the fact that it has their phone number on it... that and the note at the bottom in poor English that says "Prices maybe change without the notice."  It just makes me giggle. 

At least it doesn't say "Mines prices maybe change without the notice."

No comments:

Post a Comment