Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day Twenty


I made the painful decision today to end Molly's suffering. I promised myself that as soon as she was unable to walk to/from the litterbox on her own, I'd stop keeping her alive for my own selfish purposes and end her misery. That moment was today.

For the past few days, she has been having difficulty walking, jumping, etc. She has been very weak and when she lies down, she sprawls and shakes. I've been feeding her water and baby food through a syringe and carrying her everywhere she needs to go. Until last night, she was walking on her own to her litterbox. Then, this morning, she meowed to wake me up. She was sitting (more like slumping) at the end of my bed, looking at the floor like she was trying to get the courage/strength to jump. I carried her to her litterbox. She struggled to stand while she urinated and then could not climb back out. I knew then that I could not prolong her agony any longer.

She and I cuddled all morning, while I cried and asked God for strength to make the decision. I even took her outside and we sat in the sunshine for about 20 minutes. She didn't perk up when birds came around.

So, at 12:30 today, I dropped her off at the vet - Bay Beach Animal Hospital. Kind of appropriate because my two favorite places in town are the Bay and the Beach. The receptionist assured me I was doing the right thing. Molly was shaking so badly in her crate and trying to stand but kept falling over. The cancer I believe she had ravaging her body had finally won.

They are going to put her to sleep and then a local pet crematory (located on Happy Lane, of all places) is going to pick her up and then call me in a few days when her ashes are ready.

RIP Molly. I love you and miss you.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry. Tough decision to make, but it sounds like she was at the end of her rope.

    ReplyDelete