Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day Twenty-Seven

My plan for today involved visiting the local rec center for a membership so that I can use the pool and to get my car interior cleaned.

I woke up early again and did some chores and then called the SPCA to have them release the hold on Abra so that others could adopt her if they wanted to. Then, I logged into their website and watched the cats on the webcam for a bit. I realized I kept panning to the area where Abra's cage was, looking to see if anyone was checking her out. After about two hours of checking the webcam every 10 minutes or so, I realized I wanted to go back to the SPCA and do one more tour of the cats.

When I got there, there was a young couple reading Abra's information card. I immediately felt possessive and actually told them, "I'm adopting her!" As soon as I said it, it felt right. I completed the paperwork, forked over $75 and then spent about 15 minutes with her alone in a room. They gave me all sorts of literature and some coupons for free cat food from PetSmart and discounts on pet supplies from PetSmart. I can't bring her home until tomorrow, assuming my boss will let me leave early to get her (the shelter closes at 5:00.) She will be spayed and microchipped tomorrow. On a side note, someone was adopting "Big Kev" while I was there so his days of being "big" end tomorrow.

So, for the cost of a rec center membership, I have a new family member. Molly will be her guardian Angel and I'm sure she understands that another cat deserves to be loved the way she was/is. I made sure I did not pick a carbon copy of Molly.

I then went to PetSmart and got a bag of cat food, a cat bed, a litter pan, a scratching post, a feather toy and two food/water dishes. Thanks to the discount coupon, I saved over 50% on everything. For what I was going to spend on car detailing, I now have everything I need for Abra.

I figure that I can save the rec center for another time. The reality is that I probably wouldn't go anyway and it would be another unused gym membership in my name. As for the car detailing, I can do it myself for far less than the CarSpa people. It'll burn calories and give me a sense of accomplishment.

This was a pretty decent weekend. Had a great time with friends yesterday. Took care of my emotional health today. Only cried three times. Still can't say Molly's name without choking up, though.

Now, if I could just win the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment