Saturday, June 5, 2010

Days Forty-Five Through Fifty-Four

My excuse for not blogging is that I've been on vacation and logging into my computer for any lengthy amounts of time reminded me too much of work. The only computer usage I've done is to update my Facebook status, apply for jobs, check email and maintain my farm in FarmVille. And check my bank balance. I don't know why I did that because it wasn't like magic fairies were going to deposit anything into it.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Each morning, my dear sweet new kitty, Abby, would wake me up around 6:00 wanting some breakfast and to play. So, each morning, I got up like a good mommy and fed her and played with her for about 30 minutes. Then, I put out birdseed and peanuts for the squirrels and she would curl up by the balcony doors watching the squirrels and birds. I would crawl back into bed for a couple of hours and then officially "get up" around 9:00. I'd watch some morning talk shows, game shows, or Law and Order reruns for a few hours. Then, I'd check email, update Facebook, look for jobs and then make lunch. My lunch usually consisted of something quick and easy. One day, I had peach ice cream with fruity pebbles for lunch. Another, I had scrambled eggs with cream cheese melted into it. Another, I had 1/2 of a small seedless watermelon. I have to admit I rather liked doing whatever the heck I wanted whenever I wanted. No work projects. No meetings. No schedule. Then, in the afternoon, I would try to do something "productive". One day, I vacuumed and spot-cleaned the carpets in my apartment. Another, I hauled several bags of magazines to the library for "recycling". I cleaned the kitchen floor. I cleaned the bathrooms. I watered my plants. I did laundry. I washed dishes. I organized the "junk drawer". I cleaned the litterbox. I reorganized the fridge, freezer and kitchen cabinets.

By mid-afternoon, I would take a short nap and then make dinner, watch television, read a book, check email again, apply for some more jobs, tend to my Farmville farm, talk to friends on the phone, play with the cat, rent a video, and then crawl back into bed around 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.

Now, before you think I was a complete slug -- there were some "other" things that came up -- like an unexpected trip to the "urgent care" facility because I was having very very painful cranium pains, blurry vision and a nosebleed. Turned out my blood pressure was high -- which was probably my fault because I hadn't been taking my meds regularly. My friend Janelle and I had lunch and then went on a dolphin watching cruise. I've done them before. It's my way of combining sun, sea and salty air in one trip and getting my tan out of the way. Abby had a vet appointment. I had a dentist appointment. There were some random trips to the store to window shop. I spent one afternoon calling various insurance companies trying to get cheaper car insurance. I also downloaded a bunch of information about my part time job that starts on Monday. I stopped going to therapy. I picked up a pool pass for my apartment complex, in hopes of actually going this summer and cooling off by the pool and possibly meeting some neighbors. Lastly, I firmed up plans with my college friend, Dorrie, who is coming for a weekend visit Labor Day weekend.

Tomorrow is the last day of my vacation. No sleeping in or staying up late, sadly.

Today, I took a nap and had a work-dream. I hate those. I haven't had one in 8 days. But, the harsh reality of returning to a job I hate is sinking in. I had really hoped to find something better/different while I was on vacation.

In my dream, it was my first day back from vacation and before I had a chance to even log in, my boss pulled me into her office and b*tched me out for something that came up while I was on vacation that the people who were supposed to cover for me weren't able to handle... and instead of holding them accountable, she was blaming me for not preparing them better. She went on and on yelling at me and then ended the brow-beating with "and just for that, I'm sending you to California for a week to work in our new office there."

I woke up with a headache. It's not an unrealistic dream. Now, my stomach is churning and I'm dreading going back to work.

Now, I'm going to go make dinner, watch a movie and try to block out "work" in my mind for a little bit longer. Just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment