Saturday, June 26, 2010

Days Fifty-Nine through Seventy-Five

Bad blogger. Bad. Bad. Bad.

I swear I intended to write. I did. But, then I'd log in and have nothing to say. My life seems to be in a bit of rut right now.

I had two weeks of "training" for my work at home job, then I was released to work my heart out on the 18th, after passing three quizzes.

I've discovered that having "no set schedule" is both a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing this past Monday when I came home from work with a horrible headache and wanted to go back to bed. It's a curse right now because it's late Saturday night and I'm 5 hours short of my minimum requirement of 15 for the week. The system was down for maintenance Thursday night so I couldn't work. It was down until 8:00 Friday night so I couldn't work as many hours as I had intended. Trying to get to bed early enough that I'm not dead tired for the day job means that I've restricted myself to only working until 10:00 p.m. on weeknights. Most of the people doing this project have more flexible schedules than I do and seem to be able to work all hours any day.

So, that said, I plan on getting up early tomorrow and knocking out the 5 hours. The work is not hard at all. VERY easy in fact. Point and click. Point and click. Could I do it for 8 hours straight every day? No. Not without my brain turning to mush. The good thing is that on the weekends, I can work an hour, take a break, work an hour, run some errands, work an hour, watch some tv, etc.

My day job is blah. I've developed some resentment for the person who replaced me as supervisor because he has no clue what he is doing and I hate watching things go badly. I keep trying to remind myself it's not my responsibility but I have a certain fiber in my being that can't stand the fact that the team is constantly mucking things up, missing deadlines, calling off, coming in late, dropping calls.... I feel like the only one who cares about our reputation with the client. The guy who replaced me is a nice guy and I'm sure he had no clue what he was getting himself into. He handles everything by ignoring it. It's like if he doesn't acknowledge the issue, he doesn't have to address it. But, as you know, crap rolls down hill, so when he doesn't respond, the client calls me. The client emails me. "You always respond. You always have the answer," they say. The team members do the same thing. They bombard me all day with questions and ask me to help them deal with issues they have. I refer them back to their supervisor. They roll their eyes and tell me that he won't know how to help. When they do go to him, he sends them to me. I've whined to my boss who just shrugs it off and asks me to be a team player. I hate going to work. Hate it. If I thought I could survive only working the work at home job, I'd quit tomorrow.

Abby and I are still getting to know each other. She's still quite wild and some days, I look at her and wonder if maybe I jumped too soon into having another cat. At least once a week, I'll have a moment where I think of Molly and how much I miss her and how I hope I grow to love Abby as much as I loved Molly.

So, that's my life. Twenty some days summed up in a few paragraphs. Hmph.


No comments:

Post a Comment